12 Apartments evacuated in Williston because of a carbon monoxide leak

Williston, Vt. - The Williston Fire Department says a carbon monoxide leak is under investigation, it forced 12 apartments to be evacuated Monday night.

 

Officials say the fire department was called just after 6 p.m. for a report of a carbon monoxide detector going off.  It was discovered the entire apartment building off Day Lane had elevated readings.  The fire alarm was pulled to evacuate the apartments.

 

Authorities say the exact number of people living in the building is unknown, but 12 apartments were evacuated.  No injuries were reported.

 

After a full search of the building, the highest level of CO was discovered to be 275, well above the safe limit.  Firefighters worked to evacuate pets in the building.

 

Vermont Gas arrived on scene, and shut down two main furnaces.  With those off, officials say the building was deemed uninhabitable for the night.  Firefighters worked with the American Red Cross to relocate anyone who had not made arrangements for Monday night.

 

The Williston Police Department and Williston firefighters worked to relocate pets, including those whose owners could not be contacted right away, according to a release from the fire dept.

 

The Williston Fire Department responded with 11 personnel, three engines, and a rescue and command car.

 

As of 10 p.m., officials say representatives from the fire department, the State fire marshals office, Williston Police Dept. and a rep. from the humane society are on-site investigating and ensuring proper handling of the animals.  The Red Cross will also be on-site until all occupants have had an opportunity to gather belongings, and animals, and relocate.


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center