Animals Unharmed in Highgate Fire

Highgate, Vt. - The Parent family is feeling pretty lucky.

"We were not on the farm... We were having dinner with the grand kids," recalls Jack Parent the owner of Parent Heifer Farm in Highgate of the moment when he found out that one of the barns on his family farm was on fire.

"It originally came to me as a heifer barn was on fire. So that was alarming enough with animals inside of course," said Parent.

But it wasn't the animal barn... Rather an equipment barn used to store hay and tools.

Parent say he was thankful.

Smoke could be seen on Interstate 89 between exits 21 and 22 as the hay from the fire continued to smolder Sunday afternoon. "The hay is almost impossible to shut off a hay fire. That’s what we see smoldering now and it’s going smolder for quite a few more days," said Parent.

Fire crews from eight surrounding towns responded to the Saturday evening blaze according to Captain Daniel Chevalier of the Swanton volunteer fire department.

No other barns were damaged and all the families’ livestock was safe.

And as for damages to the equipment barn Parent is hoping to rebuild after the winter.


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center