As Rain Arrives Health Experts Warn About Mold

Published 06/28 2013 09:01AM

Updated 06/28 2013 09:05AM

If homes do flood, Vermont health officials are concerned mold may build up.

During spring flooding in 2011 a number of places had to remove mold.

The state toxicologist says the fungus can cause breathing problems.

Health experts say if stuff sits in water for two days, it's considered contaminated.

"Just try to keep everything as dry as possible and if things do get wet, just try to get them dry as quickly as you can," said Vermont Toxicologist Sarah Vose.

The other thing health experts say is to watch for flood water getting into drinking water.

If that happens they say to boil the water before using it.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.