- Repeal or limit mandatory penalties.
- Modify drug sentencing schemes: A state adjust the number of penalty levels, issues probation for certain drug offenses, and legalizes, decriminalizes, or lower penalties for small amounts of marijuana.
- Expand Access to early release mechanisms: Reduce their sentence for good behavior or drug treatment program participation.
- Expand or strengthen community-based sanctions: Laws increase deferred prosecution options for drug defendants, expand community-based drug sentencing options, and increase the use of incentives for drug offenders to reduce offense class (felony to misdemeanor) for successfully completing a drug program, or broaden availability of drug treatment programs.
- Ameliorate collateral consequences: Laws that expand options for sealing or expunging criminal records or limit restrictions on state licenses and benefits.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.