Governor Andrew Cuomo says the number of health care professionals tracking prescriptions is up.
Since August, more than 7 million individual checks were done on almost 3 million different patients. 66,000 practitioners used the system.
That's a big jump from before. Previously only about 5,000 health care professionals used the monitoring program. They checked fewer than 500,000 patients in about a 3.5 year span.
Here are some key changes under the new law:
- Requires improving education and awareness of prescribers.
- Creates a safe disposal program regarding prescription drugs.
- Permits electronic prescribing of controlled substances. This will become mandatory in March 2015.
- Expand the use of PMP Registry which helps limit doctor shopping.
- Makes it harder and more restrictive to get hydrocodone regardless of formulation.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.