The majority of the guns were stolen from private residences. Some of the guns were stolen from vehicles during hunting season.
Breakdown of the 2013 gun thefts by county:
- Clinton County: 7 stolen guns (4 handguns, 3 long guns)
- Essex County: 4 stolen guns (3 handguns, 1 long gun)
- Franklin County: 27 stolen guns (9 handguns, 18 long guns)
- St. Lawrence County: 49 stolen guns (13 handguns, 36 long guns)
- Hamilton County: 0 stolen guns
New York State Police are encouraging gun owners to protect their gun collections and to maintain a reliable inventory of their firearms. This includes recording the make, model, caliber, and serial number of every gun in their possession.
The New York State Police works closely with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and recommends using a form distributed by ATF called a “Personal Firearms Record” to inventory your gun collection. This form can be found downloaded here: https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/atf-p-3312-8.pdf.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.