The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is advising anglers and others who may want to be out on the ice to use caution.
According to the DEC, the recent warm temperatures and rain have further deteriorated ice conditions.
Anyone who is planning to use ice covered ponds and lakes should take the following precautions:
- The use of motor vehicles on ice is strongly discourage until the ice thickens;
- Use caution when moving from ice to shore and from shore to ice;
- Check ice thickness near shore before going further out on the ice;
- Avoid areas around inlets, outlets, boathouses, docks and any open water;
- Be prepared to self-rescue carry spikes, flotation devices and a throw line;
- Wear traction devices on your feet as there is no snow on the ice surface.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.