Police: Son Allegedly Kills Mother at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center

LEBANON, N.H. - Lebanon Police say a son allegedly shot and killed his 70 year-old mother at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Tuesday.

According to authorities, Travis Frink, 49 of Warwick, Rhode Island is being charged with first degree murder for the death of his mother, Pamela Ferriere, of Groton, New Hampshire.

Police say Frink arrived and signed in at the visitor’s desk at the hospital at 1:15 p.m. 

Authorities say the “incident” took place in the intensive care unit on the fourth floor of the hospital’s north building.

At 1:24 p.m. Lebanon Police received a 911 call. The incident closed New Hampshire's largest hospital down for most of the afternoon. 

According to authorities, more than one shot was fired, but no one else was injured.

Over 100 members of law enforcement were involved, including Vermont State Police.

"The facts gathered to this point reveal that the purpose of Mr. Frink's visit to the hospital today was to kill his mother,” said New Hampshire Attorney General, Gordon MacDonald.

"I can speak for all of law enforcement from this state and the new england region that we are prepared and we are ready to handle such a situation," said New Hampshire State Police Col. Chris Wagner.

Dr. Joanne Conroy, CEO and President of the hospital, says the staff has some active shooter training.

"Our incident command team went to Mississippi at least twice to train for overall week for a situation just like this," said Conroy.

Some Vermonters were in the hospital when the incident took place.

Pat Jauch and Barbara Dwyer, both on Lyndonville, were there while their friend was undergoing brain surgery. They were evacuated outside, but their friend was on the operating table during the entire ordeal.

"They'd come along and say move back, move back, and go fast. The further that they were moving us was when we were starting to think, something is really serious," said Dwyer.

They say after it was over at around 4:30 p.m., the dark weight over the hospital was lifted.

"I've seen a couple of couples, looks like maybe the wife would be a nurse or someone here at the hospital and the husband coming in and there were hugs and kisses and embraces. You know, thank heaven everything's okay," said Jauch.

Anyone with information on Frink's whereabouts before the shooting is asked to contact the New Hampshire Major Crimes Unit at 603-223-8568.

Officials say Frink will be arraigned in Haverhill, New Hampshire on Wednesday morning.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center