Police say they went inside after they heard 72-year-old Thomas Page, who has a disability, yelling for help. The St. Albans Police Department were first on scene and carried him to safety. Page sustained burns to his back and arms.
The building, with 11 residents in four apartments, was also evacuated. Police say they had to smash windows and kick in doors to evacuate some of the sleeping occupants.
Page was transported to Northwestern Medical Center Emergency Department and was later transported to Fletcher Allen. He is in critical condition.
Officials say while they are still investigating, the fire is not considered to be suspicious. Officials believe the fire may have been caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.
About 50 firefighters fought the fire.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.