Uncommon Insurance Protects Your Valuables

By Alex Rose

Published 06/25 2014 07:23PM

Updated 06/25 2014 07:31PM

Burlington, Vt.- "It's something you don't need, but when something like this happens, you do need it," said Burlington resident Michelle Maynard.

Looking back Maynard wishes she bought renter's insurance.

Tuesday morning her home on College Street caught fire, and some of her property had water damage.

"I wasn't aware of it,” Maynard said. “I didn't realize you could get it, bad on my part, I didn't realize you could get renter's insurance."

Landlords need to insure their buildings, not your property.

"A lot of people think, ‘Oh well my landlord is going to provide coverage for me for all of my stuff, all my belongings that I'm moving into the home,' but unfortunately that's not true," said Owner of Hickok&Boardman, Inc. Insurance Carla Boardman Smalling.

Some Landlords like Joe Handy may write a clause in their tenant’s leases, saying they are not liable for damage to your possessions.

Insuring those is your responsibility.

"If they get it, they get it,” Handy said. “If they don't, they don't you know, that’s their choice."

Renter's insurance protects you from damage or loss from fires, theft and vandalism.

If your property is damaged, your insurer will send an agent to evaluate the damage.

"Most companies will start you with X amount of dollars to kind of get you going, and as you replace your items, you give a receipt, they reimburse you the money back,” Boardman Smalling said.

Renter's insurance can be bought at most insurance agencies. Depending on your coverage, the average cost is about 15 to 20 dollars a month.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.