- Slow down and drive for the road conditions.
- Leave more room than usual between vehicles – you’ll need the extra time and distance to brake safely. Signal early, merge slowly and carefully.
- Brake early and slowly to prevent skidding. Never slam on the brakes on winter roads.
- Do not use cruise control during a storm, don’t overestimate the ability of four-wheel or all-wheel drive, and look out for black ice on what appears to be bare pavement.
- Stay oﬀ your mobile device and minimize other distractions. You’ll need added reaction time to respond to an unforeseen event or situation.
- Look ahead – the actions of other vehicles will alert you to what is happening ahead so that you can react safely and in time.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.