Courtesy ACT Media:
Barre, VT – Wayne Helliwell, Jr. of Dover, NH used a cross over move on Jimmy Hebert with about 15 laps to go to claim his first career Thunder Road win in the 16th annual Merchants Bank 150 on Sunday, April 27. Hebert held on for second while 17 year old Emily Packard came home third.
Hebert led for the majority of the event after taking the lead on lap 26 from his third place starting position. He held off two former Thunder Road Late Model Champions in Nick Sweet and Derrick O’Donnell in a fierce battle, while protecting the low lane. With just under 20 laps to go, Sweet and O’Donnell made hard contact on the backstretch, bringing out the ninth caution of the event. Sweet would be done to the day with front end damage, while O’Donnell returned after changing a flat.
The caution also brought Helliwell to Hebert’s outside for the restart. Helliwell hung tough on the outside for a couple of laps before pulling a crossover to get to the inside coming off turn two. Helliwell got the advantage and appeared like he would walk away from the field until the tenth and final caution with two laps to go. Helliwell hung on for the win as Hebert didn’t have enough in the outside lane.
Hebert and Packard were followed to the line by Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., and Luke Hinkley in the top five. Trampas Demers, Phil Scott, rookie Mike Ziter, Jamie Fisher and Jean-Paul Cyr all scored top ten finishes.
Helliwell became the 11th different winner in the 16th running of the Merchants Bank 150 and pocketed an extra $1,000 for becoming the second qualifier for the Bond Auto ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 20.
The race was completed in just over one hour and 13 minutes. A total of 43 ACT Late Models attempted to qualify for the series’ second event of the 2014 season. The starting grid was 30 strong.
Jeff Bousquet of Worcester, VT claimed his first career Bond Auto Tiger Sportsmen win. He held off Christopher Pelkey, Doug Crowningshield, Jason Woodard and Cameron Ouellette.
North Montpelier’s Donnie Yates earned his third career Allen Lumber Street Stocks victory over young Tyler Austin, Will Hennequin, Jamie Davis and Jadon Perry in the top five.
The American Canadian Tour Late Models head to Devil’s Bowl Speedway for their third event of the season next Sunday, May 4 for the Spring Green 114.
Thunder Road International Speedbowl next opens its gates for the 52nd Mekkelsen RV Memorial Day Classic on Sunday, May 25.
16th Annual Merchants Bank 150
American Canadian Tour Unofficial Results
Thunder Road – Barre, VT
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (9) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
2. (3) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
3. (15) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 150 Laps
4. (17) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
5. (1) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 150 Laps
6. (2) Trampas Demers, S. Burlington, VT, 150 Laps
7. (23) Phil Scott, Middlesex, VT, 150 Laps
8. (22) #Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
9. (11) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 150 Laps
10. (6) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, 150 Laps
11. (10) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 150 Laps
12. (8) Shawn Fleury, Middlesex, VT, 150 Laps
13. (4) Kyle Welch, Newport, NH, 150 Laps
14. (25) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
15. (5) Derrick O'Donnell, N. Haverhill, NH, 150 Laps
16. (19) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
17. (28) Jason Corliss, Barre, VT, 150 Laps
18. (7) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 150 Laps
19. (20) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 150 Laps
20. (30) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 149 Laps
21. (27) Tyler Cahoon, St. Johnsbury, VT, 149 Laps
22. (16) #Eric Badore, Milton, VT, 149 Laps
23. (29) #Brandon Atkins, AuSable Forks, NY, 149 Laps
24. (12) David Whitcomb, Essex Jct., VT, 148 Laps
25. (21) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 148 Laps
26. (14) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 132 Laps
27. (18) Joey M. Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT, 120 Laps
28. (13) Cody Blake, Barre, VT, 78 Laps
29. (26) Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, VT, 77 Laps
30. (24) Jason Allen, Barre, VT, 24 Laps
Lap Leaders: Luke Hinkley, 1-10; Trampas Demers, 11-25; Jimmy Hebert, 26-122; Nick Sweet, 123; Hebert, 124-134; Wayne Helliwell, Jr. 135-150.
Time of Race: 1:13:19
Margin of Victory: .470 seconds
Cautions: 10 (laps 20, 25, 76, 78, 115, 121, 122, 122, 132, 147)
Heat Winners: Cody Blake, Nick Sweet, Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Jimmy Hebert
Consi Winners: Trampas Demers, Derrick O'Donnell, Jean-Paul Cyr
B-Feature Winner: Joey Becker
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.