HINESBURG, Vt. - A group of Hinesburg students are safe Wednesday after their bus caught fire. It happened around 3 p.m. on Silver Street.
Assistant Fire Chief Jim Silva says he believes it started at the front of the bus near the engine. It took crews about 40 minutes to put out.
FOX 44 and ABC 22 is told that the students acted fast to get off the bus once it started smoking.
"Everyone got out of the bus. They left their backpacks behind, they didn't try to hold on to them, which could slow people from getting away from an emergency scene like that," Silva said. "They did everything right. Fire's dangerous. That's why we have fire drills for our schools and practice on school buses all the time."
The students didn't wait long as another bus was called in to pick them up.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.