That is exactly where the focus is as local departments celebrate National Fire Prevention Week.
The Williston Fire Department responded to more than 650 fire calls so far this year. And firefighters say many of those calls were because of a fire that started in the kitchen.
First and second graders toured the Williston Fire Department as part of fire prevention week.
“We see the kids a lot year after year so a lot of times you ask them the questions, they know the answers to it. And it's more of a review then it is a teaching point,” said Keith Baker, a firefighter with the Williston Department.
Each tour gives firefighters a chance to educate and promote safety. Experts say even kids should learn how to be careful in the kitchen.
“One of the bigger causes of certain fires, especially in the kitchen its typically going to be stove related of some sort,” said Baker.
Baker says the most common cause of a stove fire is unattended food. So make sure you stay in the kitchen while cooking. And keep children and pets away from the stove. As an added precaution cook on the back burner to avoid knocking the pan off the stove. And when cooking, wear tight fitting clothes, you'll lower the chance of catching your sleeve on fire.
“If you had a fire on the stove, we don't want to put water on it especially if it's a grease fire because grease and fire will have a pretty violent reaction,” said Baker.
So Baker says it's a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
“If you're not comfortable using a fire extinguisher or if the fire extinguisher doesn't put the fire out just get out, call the fire department. It can be very dangerous trying to fight a fire on your own,” said Baker.
There are other ways a fire can start in the kitchen. Firefighters say if it starts in the oven keep the door shut that will help keep the fire contained.
And as always firefighters say the best advice when a fire strikes is to get everyone safely out of the house and call 911.