Homes will be demolished and families can finally rebuild.
It's an emotional time for these families, some describe it as the last chapter in this Irene nightmare, but many say it's also giving them peace of mind.
This home in Au Sable Forks New York has been in the family for generations. "My grandparents lived here for 50 plus years," Chad Garcia said.
Garcia has called it home for the past decade. Football in the front yard, walks down by the river. "The seasons change, the water, I mean it's just a nice place," Garcia said.
But it was this water that rose to record levels two years ago when Tropical Storm Irene hit. "It really was like a war zone," Garcia added. Now the threat of future floods is rushing them out.
"It ruined our ceiling, ruined our floors, we lost everything that we really owned," Garcia said.
The federal government is buying out Garcia’s home and 41 others in Essex County. In less than one month the family home will be demolished.
Under FEMA guidelines, a permanent structure can never be built here again because it's in the flood zone, but the Town of Jay has said that they'd like to put in park benches or a playground.
"There is an emotional attachment to this house, but peace of mind for one," Garcia said.
Peace of mind knowing the days of evacuating and returning to devastation are over.
"Between the garage and the laundry room, blew the wall out. Once is enough," Garcia said.
The federal government will pay 75% of each home's pre-storm value, and the state of New York will pay the remaining 25%.
The Garcia family has already picked out a new house!
Now as for the Town of Jay putting in park benches, and playgrounds that does come with challenges because the town will have to foot the bill. But even still, the town manager tells me he doesn't anticipate a spike in taxes, he will apply for grants in hopes of covering the cost.