Here are some ways to prepare for the upcoming winter storm:
- Stay up-to-date with the latest weather conditions and forecast with the SkyTracker Weather team. Also, download our mobile app for Android and Apple devices.
- Have at least three days of non-perishable food and two gallons of water per day per person on hand as well as a manual can opener.
- Have on hand flashlights, a portable radio and extra batteries.
- Keep vehicle fuel tanks at least half full.
- Fully charge cell phones, laptops and any other devices before the storm.
- Assemble a first aid kit including prescription medications and special items for infants or people with disabilities.
- Before the storm set refrigerator and freezer to their coldest settings.
- check on the well-being of relatives and acquaintances, especially the elderly or others with access and functional needs.
- If the power goes out: Use flashlights and battery-powered lanterns, not candles, for emergency lighting.
- Operate emergency generators safely, with exhaust directed away from buildings.
- Never use outdoor cooking appliances indoors because of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Report the outage to your electric utility.
- Do not call 9-1-1 unless there’s an emergency.Stay clear of downed wires. Always assume downed power lines are live.
Copyright 2013 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.