According to Vermont State Police, Route 100 in Waterbury is back open after an overnight fire. Flames have been put out and fire officials call it a ‘total loss’.
Chief Gary Dillon was on scene Friday morning. He said the department received a call at 2:18 a.m. when an abandoned brick building was completely engulfed in flames. Waterbury, Stowe and Berlin Fire Departments responded.
Chief Dillon said the building, located at 3593 VT Rt 100, was used for auctions. It’s diagonally across from Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Officials said no one was inside, but one firefighter was transported to the hospital for an evaluation.
Chief Dillon said fire investigators were called immediately to the scene given the circumstances. However, there are no leads as to what sparked the fire.
“Not a clue,” Chief Dillon said. “Just absolutely no clue. The whole building– just fire coming out of the roof… the doors… everything.”
The fire was put out. Chief Dillon anticipated crews to be on scene for a few more hours to fight hot-spots. He expects the building will be torn down Friday morning or it would continue to burn.
Rt 100 was closed down for roughly four hours.