The two suspects in the shooting outside Nectar’s on February 26th haven’t been arraigned yet. However, Burlington Police Chief Brandon del Pozo says that doesn’t mean the case isn’t being worked on.
“We wanted to make sure that we weren’t interfering with the federal prosecution in any way, and that the State’s Attorney has adequate time to prepare the case, at the trial point, anyway,” he said.
That federal prosecution will be against Rashad Nashid, 37, of Burlington. He’s charged with two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm, and he’ll also face four state-level counts. Nashid will be arraigned on his state charges on September 20th.
The other defendant in this case was going to be arraigned Tuesday morning, but that’s not going to happen just yet.
Police say Carl Martin, 33, of Colchester was just re-cited into court today. Martin will now be arraigned on September 6th instead. He’s charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and aggravated disorderly conduct.
“Two men with guns, instead of going home or calling the police, or de-escalating or separating themselves or seeking refuge, wait for each other at bar closing and get into a fistfight that ends up as a gunfight,” Chief del Pozo said.
Nashid is facing the same three state charges that Martin is, with one more count added for Nashid alone, negligent use of a gun.
“It’s hard to see this as self-defense. It’s hard to see this as measured. It’s reckless, and it’s a product of a long night where responsible people would have called the police or gone home,” del Pozo said.
Nashid and Martin had been arguing for much of that night. Police say Martin punched Nashid in the face, each man drew a gun, and Nashid fired shots…hitting an innocent bystander, Chelsi Parker, 27. She was shot in the chest and nearly died; Parker is still in the midst of a slow recovery.