On the third Monday of every January Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated across the country. Observed as “a day on, not a day off,” MLK Day is the only federal holiday selected to focus largely on Americans bettering their communities through service.
Today, a food drive will be hosted from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at the O’Brain Community Center as volunteers gather to support the Winooksi Food Shelf.
Local 22 & Local 44’s Spencer Thomas, was live giving a preview of the event, providing tips on how you can give back to your community.
Interested in donating? Here are a list of items needed:
• Canned beans such as garbanzo, kidney and black beans;
• Hearty soups with meat such as Chunky soups
• Children’s cereals
• Canned meals such as beef stew, baked beans, corned beef hash, and canned pasta
• Mayo, ketchup, Italian salad dressing, pasta sauce
• Fresh oranges and apples
• Canned fruit such as pineapple and applesauce
+ other easily prepared and nutritious foods
• Toothbrushes and toothpaste
• Disposable razors
• Toilet paper
For more information, click here.