We’re learning more about the Burlington School District Board of Education’s decision earlier this week to fire Burlington High School’s former guidance director, Mario Macias.
The school board released a letter Friday night with additional information about the decision. The letter outlines what took place at a school board hearing on Monday that was centered around Macias’ future with the district.
According to the board’s letter, Burlington school superintendent Yaw Obeng told the board during the Monday hearing that his own teaching license would be in jeopardy if he were to allow Macias to continue working. The letter says that the board members voted unanimously to fire Macias, effective immediately, after they heard Obeng’s testimony.
Neither Macias nor his attorney attended the Monday hearing.
Macias’ teaching license was revoked last month because of what the Vermont Agency of Education called “a broad pattern of unprofessional conduct” by Macias, including basic incompetence, creation of an abusive work environment that drove colleagues to quit their jobs and discussion of the state’s investigation with a student. Obeng suspended Macias from his job shortly afterward.
The charges against Macias first surfaced last fall in Burlington High School’s student newspaper, the BHS Register.
Macias is appealing the state’s decision to revoke his license.