Brandon home considered a total loss after fire started by water heater

Local News
firefighter inf ront of fire_1461953704892.jpg

A fire that destroyed a home in Brandon on Sunday night began in a closet that housed the water heater, investigators from the Department of Public Safety and Explosion Unit say.

The home is owned by Sandy Cram of Wallingford, and is lived in by her son, Eugene Cram.

Eugene Cram told investigators he returned home at about 7:45 p.m. and saw flames through a window. He immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher, but was unable to put out the fire, police said.

He then got his dogs and made it out safely, before calling 911.

The Brandon Fire Department arrived on scene shortly after 8 p.m. and found heavy smoke engulfing the house. The Pittsford and Salisbury fire departments were called in, but the building is considered a total loss.

No injuries were reported and investigators say the fire was accidental.

The Division of Fire Safety is reminding everyone of the importance of maintaining their appliances and ensuring proper clearance from combustibles.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Trending Stories

Latest Coronavirus Headlines

More Coronavirus

SkyTracker Weather Blog

More SkyTracker Blog