CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A man charged with shooting a New Hampshire couple to death on a hiking trail in April had spent months living in nearby woods but disappeared after lying to police just before the bodies were discovered, according to court documents.
The New Hampshire State Police affidavit was released by a judge in Vermont after Logan Clegg, 26, waived extradition and agreed to return to New Hampshire to face second-degree murder charges.
The document doesn’t include a possible motive for the deaths of Stephen and Djeswende Reid, whose bodies were found April 21, three days after they left their Concord apartment complex to go for a walk. But it outlines what led investigators to Clegg, including store surveillance video, credit card records and cell phone data.
According to the affidavit, police investigating the couple’s disappearance met a man living in the woods who identified himself as “Arthur Kelly” on April 20. Two days later, his campsite was abandoned but police found spent shell casings similar to those found at the crime scene.
Later, a woman came forward to say she had been walking her dog on April 18 when the Reids passed her on the trail. Minutes later, she heard gunshots, and she later saw a young man carrying a shopping bag and looking into the woods near where the bodies were found.
Several other residents told police they had seen a young homeless man in the area multiple times between November 2021 and April 2022, and surveillance footage showed someone matching their descriptions purchasing propane tanks and groceries at area stores.
Police didn’t have a name until September, when a bank provided information about purchases the individual made using credit or debit cards. That led to an online retailer of dietary supplements, which identified the buyer as Clegg.
A booking photo of Clegg from a 2020 burglary arrest in Utah matched the “Arthur Kelly” police had spoken to in Concord, the affidavit states. A manager at a McDonald’s in Concord also confirmed that she had employed Clegg from November 2021 to February 2022.
Police closed in on Clegg this month after learning that he had booked a one-way ticket to Germany for Oct. 14. They used the phone number he provided in purchasing the ticket to track him down in Burlington, Vermont on Oct. 12.
According to the affidavit, Clegg told police he had lived in Concord and worked at McDonald’s but denied living in a tent, using the alias Arthur Kelly, having any interaction with police, possessing a gun or being involved in the Reids’ deaths.
During his Vermont court appearance, Clegg answered questions from Superior Court Judge Mary Morrissey about whether he understood what he was doing when he agreed to return to face charges in New Hampshire. His attorney asked about the prosecution’s request to seal the affidavit, but the judge said there was no legal authority to do so.
At a news conference in Concord, New Hampshire Attorney General John Formella said investigators have no information that suggests anyone other than Clegg was involved in the deaths. He otherwise declined to provide other information, including anything about a possible motive for the crime or whether Clegg had any connection to the couple.
“Mr. Clegg’s arrest is a significant step in this case, but it’s only one step,” he said. “There is a long way to go in this case.”
He and Concord Police Chief Bradley Osgood urged the public to continue coming forward with any information or tips.
“Six months ago, this senseless tragedy became our number one priority. It still remains our highest priority today,” Osgood said. “We hope that today will allow for a sense of healing for the community and the Reid family.”
Family members issued a statement thanking authorities for their work in identifying and arresting a suspect, as well as those who provided information and donated money to a reward hotline.