Plattsburgh apartment residents left to find new homes after fire

Local News

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y.- Nine people, including six children, were rescued from a burning apartment complex in Plattsburgh on Monday.

The fire has left 13 people without a place to call home, said Terry Meron, who has owned the Adirondack Road building for nearly ten years.

“It just takes your insides and turns them into mush,” he said.

Meron is helping the tenants, who also lost most of the belongings. For now, they are staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites in Plattsburgh, which Meron also owns.

“The residents are up there and they are having their food and lodging there until we can place them elsewhere or they can place themselves elsewhere,” he said.

The fire was reported at about 10:30 p.m. Monday. When crews arrived, children were being handed down from the second-story windows to police officers already on scene.

“I heard screaming, people running around. Trying to get people out,” said Amanda Bertrand.

Plattsburgh Fire Chief Scott Lawliss says nine people were rescued from the building within minutes; the youngest was 16 months old. They were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Meron said firefighters’ quick response probably saved lives.

“That’s always the first question and thought everyone has,” he said.

Lawliss said the fire gutted the inside, but spared the building’s structure and roof.

Meron said an unattended stove fire may have caused the fire. But the official investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Trending Stories

Latest Coronavirus Headlines

More Coronavirus

SkyTracker Weather Blog

More SkyTracker Blog