Shed fire injures South Royalton man; firefighters say it could have been worse

Local News

A South Royalton man suffered second-degree burns attempting to put out fire in a wood shed before it spread to a barn and house.

The fire damaged a single-family home on South Street in South Royalton.

Fire officials say the man, a tenant at the single family home on South Street, smelled smoke while cooking. He opened a laundry room door and encountered smoke.

The man walked out, closing the doors behind and told another occupant to call 911 while he used a garden hose to control the fire.

Crews were able to cut off the fire as it entered the barn and to extinguish the shed fire. There was minor smoke damage to the house.

The fire is not considered suspicious.

Officials say the fire could have been worse. They say it shows how important it is close a door when you leave a room in the event of a fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending

Trending Stories

Latest Coronavirus Headlines

More Coronavirus

SkyTracker Weather Blog

More SkyTracker Blog