Burlington police say a 37-year-old man is in federal custody after he shot into a crowd as a bar closed, seriously injuring a woman.
Police say Rashad Nashid is facing a charge for possession of a firearm and is in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service. He is expected to make an initial appearance at 2:30 p.m. Monday at U.S. District Court in Burlington.
Witnesses and 911 callers reported Nashid fired two shots into the crowd of people on the sidewalk on Main Street by Nectar’s, police said.
Burlington police say a 26-year-old woman, whose name was not released, was seriously injured after she was shot in the lung. No other injuries were reported.
“The bullet passed through her body and lodged in her clothing. She is in serious condition, but at the time of writing is expected to survive,” police wrote in a statement.
Police say the victim and Nashid do not know each other.
Moments after the shooting, police said a passerby pointed out Nashid to a Burlington Police Department sergeant on South Winooski Street.
“The sergeant confronted the suspect, Rashad Nashid, 37. Nashid produced a Ruger .380 pistol. The sergeant was able to take him into custody without further incident,” a written press release stated.
During an interview, police said Nashid said he had been drinking at Nectar’s.
Investigators say Nashid is a convicted felon who is banned from possessing a firearm. Police say he has a pending trial on a September 2017 charge of felony narcotics possession. He was out in public on conditions of release, police said.
Police say the motive and circumstances are still unknown and the investigation is ongoing.