New Hampshire opts out of FirstNet

Regional News
Sununu Inauguration 2_81348128

New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu announced Thursday the state will opt out of the federal government’s safety network, FirstNet.

The First Responder Network Authorities, known as FirstNet, was created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, after communication breakdowns between police and fire.

Each state must decide by Dec. 28 whether to opt in to the broadband network dedicated to public safety being built by AT&T.

In a press release Thursday, Governor Sununu said the state will instead pursue a contract with Rivada Networks to ‘build out a high-speed wireless network for New Hampshire’s first responders.’

“Rivada has proposed a plan that has the potential to provide immense value to our State, including unparalleled public safety infrastructure investments that will lead to unmatched and near universal coverage for the new public safety network,” said Governor Chris Sununu. “If we successfully navigate the opt-out path, New Hampshire will retain a level of control that it would not have enjoyed in an opt-in scenario. I am pleased that we have the opportunity to pursue a plan that will provide the maximum benefit to our public safety community and all of our citizens. New Hampshire deserves nothing less.”

The governor said Attorney General Gordon MacDonald and Safety Commissioner John Barthelmes support his decision.

Vermont decided last week to opt in.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending