New York State Police from the Ray Brook barracks are warning residents of a phone scam.
Police say calls from the phone number (518) 897-2000 shows up as being from State Police on the caller ID but it’s not them.
According to police, these calls are asking folks for personal information or trying to get money.
Police say if you get a call from the fake number you should contact police at (518) 873-2750.
Officials say State Police would never call the public and ask for donations.
New York State Officials offer following tips on how you can tell if the caller is trying to scam you.
- Do not provide an address or phone number
- Demand immediate payment or payment in cash
- Seem vague as to how contributions will be spent
- Refuse to provide financial information about a charitable organization
- Appear angry or impatient when asked reasonable questions about the organization they represent or the programs for which contributions will be used.