Where to find the best hair growth serum
Multiple environmental factors can affect the growth of your hair. Stress plays a large role in hair loss, but sometimes it is as simple as the products we use. Hair growth serums work to target impurities that are preventing your hair from growing properly. A good hair serum will rescue the look of brittle and breaking hair. To find the best hair growth serum, consider which formula is best for your hair type, the brand and the ingredients used to make the product.
What to know before buying hair growth serum
Buyers should consider checking to make sure the ingredients in hair growth serums meet their hair type needs. Each hair type will react differently to certain ingredients and formulas.
- Oily Hair: Persons with oily hair should look for hair serums that use water-based and nongreasy formulas. A serum that features various oils will weigh down this hair type. Products that work best for people with oily hair will need to be hydrating and not heavy. Oily hair will not require frequent application of hair growth serums.
- Dry Hair: Persons with dry hair should look for formulas that contain various natural oils, such as argon, jojoba and almond oils. These oils naturally occur in nature and will hydrate the hair while providing the shine and moisture that it is lacking. Products that contain biotin and panthenol will work best for this hair type. If your hair is thin, stay away from the excess oil.
- Frizzy hair: Persons with naturally frizzy or brittle hair should consider purchasing growth serums with natural oils, just like those with dry hair. This will promote hair strength, while providing necessary hydration that the hair lacks. Natural oils will work to reduce the effects of humidity in the hair and close off the hair cuticle, creating less friction, frizz and static.
Hair growth serums tend to contain a combination of ingredients that are believed to promote hair growth and improve the overall health of the hair and scalp. These are some common ingredients found in hair growth serums.
- Biotin: A B-vitamin that is important for healthy hair, skin and nails, biotin is believed to promote hair growth by strengthening the hair shaft and preventing breakage.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is believed to increase collagen production, which can help improve the health of the hair and skin.
- Saw palmetto: Saw palmetto is an herb that’s said to improve hair growth in people with alopecia.
- Niacin: This B-vitamin may improve blood flow to the scalp, which can promote hair growth.
- Peppermint oil: It’s believed that this essential oil can stimulate the scalp and promote hair growth.
It’s important to note that the effectiveness of these ingredients can vary from person to person and more research is needed to fully understand how they affect hair growth. Not all ingredients that are touted to promote hair growth are backed by science.
When purchasing a hair serum for hair growth, make sure that the brand itself has good reviews. Make sure the brand sustainably sources its ingredients and pledges not to use harmful products on animals when creating their formulas. The brands that care about the animals and the environment also work to make sure their formula is gentle, organic and safe for use on sensitive skin.
Just because a brand is not widely known does not mean that it will not do wonders for the hair. Popularity cannot guarantee the best results. Before purchasing a hair growth serum, consider checking the reviews to see what others who have used the product have said about it. This will give you a clue about the integrity of the brand and its formula for success.
How much you can expect to spend on a hair growth serum
Hair growth serum will cost anywhere from $30-$90, depending on the size of the bottle, the ingredients and the brand. A serum that is widely known and uses the best ingredients to stimulate hair growth quickly will be priced around $50-$90.
Tips for applying hair growth serum
For best results when applying hair growth serum, first dampen the hair. This will open the hair cuticles and allow the product to absorb more effectively. Then, add one to two drops of hair serum to the palm of your hand and rub them together. Apply this to your hair, working from the ends up to the middle of your hair. If the product is also used for scalp health, apply from the tip all the way to the root for the best results.
Hair growth serum FAQ
What ingredients help my hair grow?
A. When purchasing a hair growth serum to strengthen and grow your hair, consider looking for ingredients such as peppermint, Jamaican black castor oil and aloe vera. These are just a few of the many ingredients that stimulate hair growth and leave the hair feeling stronger and looking healthier.
Do I need to use hair growth serum every day?
A. You should not use hair growth serums every time you wash and style your hair. Limit the use of these serums to a couple of times a week. If you have unmanageable and frizzy hair, consider also adding an oil-based product to your hair routine on the days that you are not using the serum.
Best hair growth serum under $40
The Mane Choice The Alpha Multi-Vitamin Scalp Growth Oil
This product is designed to promote scalp health, which subsequently encourages hair growth. It also contains biotin and added vitamins to encourage faster and stronger hair growth.
Sold by Ulta Beauty and Amazon
Lanmeri Vegan Hair Growth Serum
This serum promotes hair growth for fuller, thicker hair. It improves the health of the scalp and follicles, which encourages hair growth. It’s vegan and cruelty-free.
Sold by Amazon
Grow Gorgeous Original Hair Density Serum
This hair growth serum is uniquely formulated to improve hair volume and boost thickness and fullness. It works to target scalp health and is good for all hair types. Its vegan and cruelty-free formula provides a gentle clean and is safe for color-treated hair.
Sold by Ulta Beauty
Curlsmith Full Lengths Density Elixir
This hair serum helps to support healthy hair growth by supercharging hair follicles and soothing the scalp. It works on all hair types and textures and is weightless, non-greasy and water-based. This vegan formula serves to improve scalp health above all, which leads to hair growth.
Sold by Ulta Beauty and Amazon
Best hair growth serum under $60
Virtue Flourish Healthy Hair Growth Density Booster
This hair serum works by fueling tired follicles and nurturing new and fragile hairs so that they grow longer and fuller. It’s made using natural ingredients.
Sold by Ulta Beauty
This hair serum uses plant extracts to help visibly increase hair density without harmful toxins. This vegan formula helps hair grow longer and stronger and can be used to energize hair follicles. It promises to increase hair density by up to 50% in as little as 90 days.
Sold by Sephora
Best hair growth serum under $80
This hair serum is a lightweight, topical serum used to combat dry, brittle and thinning hair with antioxidants. It works to improve hair strength and minimize breakage and is clinically tested. The formula is vegan and has been shown to improve hair density in as few as 90 days.
Sold by Amazon
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Logan DeLoye writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2023 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.